Guess what day is today? It’s National Pound Cake Day! Yes, such thing exists because there are pound cake lovers like me and you out there. And if for some crazy reason you do not eat pound cake as much as I do, then try this recipe using Sara Lee’s frozen pound cake and you will be happy to celebrate Pound Cake Day every year. Thanks Sara Lee for sponsoring this post and give away. Yes, that’s right read below as we are giving away a $50 Visa gift card + Sara Lee coupons and you could be the winner!
What do I love about pound cake so much? Well it’s light, not too sweet and so versatile. You can eat it as is or transform it into an amazing new creation. I used the classic all butter pound cake but there are other convenient flavors like double chocolate and lemon pound cake. I am telling you Sara Lee pound cakes are live savers and I make sure to have a few on my freezer at all times.
I’ve been to Paris a couple of times, here I tell you about my foodie adventures during my last trip. Every time I am there I make sure I get crêpes . Their crêpes are simple sometimes butter and sugar is all they add other times just jam or decadent fruit sauces. This pound cake creation has been inspired by a French crêpe called crêpe Suzette.
To make the pound cake Suzette, it all starts with fresh orange juice. Add sugar and honey (my personal touch), and a bit of butter to make the sauce even more velvety. A shot of orange liqueur adds a subtle but distinctive elegant flavor. If you can flambé the liqueur like I did below, even better as this step infuses the sauce with additional aroma and flavor. Once you have the sauce ready the next steps are cake, literally!
- Spread butter on each pound cake slice, and grill them until toasty and warm. I love to see the grill marks on the pund cake but you can use a flat grill or pan for this as well.
- Place each slice on the pan and cover with the fresh orange sauce and voilà.
-Ready to serve and enjoy!
-You could serve them as is or with fresh orange segments.
- Another great idea is to top the warm slices with ice cream and sprinkled with orange zest.
Either way you have it, this sauce compliments the buttery pound cake so well and what is best is that you can easily create a quick, easy and impressive dessert in no time.
In honor of National Pound Cake day, Sara Lee is sponsoring a giveaway for a $50 Visa gift card and Sara Lee coupons. To enter, follow the easy instructions below:
- Follow Hungry Food Love on Pinterest, Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and leave a comment below letting me know you have done this.
- If the above does not apply to you as you already are a follower of Hungry Food Love on all social media platforms listed above, then like and share this picture on facebook (click here for picture) and let me know you have done this on a comment below.
NOTE: All entries must be in by 5pm EST Friday, March 14. The winner will be announced in our facebook page that evening! Winner will be randomly selected and prize will be shipped to US addresses, only. Sara Lee will be mailing the prize. Must be 18 years of age to enter.
- 1 package Sara Lee frozen pound cake, thawed and sliced
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- The zest of two oranges
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 shot orange liqueur
- Additional butter to spread pound cake slices
- In a pan over medium high heat bring orange juice to a boil.
- Add sugar, honey and orange zest and keep heating until sugar and honey dissolve.
- Once the sauce starts to reduce, add butter, stir and add shot of orange liqueur.
- Flambé liqueur or keep cooking for one more minute.
- Meanwhile, spread additional butter over each side of the pound cake slices and grill them until lightly toasted on each side, about a minute.
- Add each grilled pound cake slice, one at a time, to the pan and cover with sauce.
- Serve with fresh orange segments, ice cream or with extra sauce.