Party time! Yup, that’s what celebrations are all about: good times, good company, good food… Now that the big worldwide soccer competition is just around the corner, my imagination is running wild with all the parties and celebration possibilities. I am real fan of the excitement and passion around this major sporting event. Why? Well, besides all the adrenaline rush as I root for my favorite team, this season also means I get to plan theme parties, try new food and get creative in the kitchen. Here are a few ideas how you could plan a soccer theme party:
- If your favorite team is playing, think of food options in the same color scheme as your favorite team’s uniform.
- You could also cook traditional dishes from the two competing countries.
- Or simply share an array of appetizers perfect for game day.
Looking for inspiration? Here is a great example that can be used to kickoff your soccer celebrations. Try this color coordinated appetizer inspired by this year’s host country: Brazil. Yellow and green are the dominant colors in the Brazilian flag and the Brazilian team’s uniform. So it’s just fitting!
The hero, or MVP (most valuable player) of this dish is the cheese. I have created a yellow tomato salsa, and to keep the flavors authentic I am using Cacique’s Oaxaca cheese. This is a really interesting artisan cheese formed out of a long rope of cheese that is gently wound in a knot. Oaxaca cheese has a savory, buttery flavor that goes so well against the tartness of the salsa.
This mighty salsa is beautiful and so unique. Using yellow tomatoes will not only be perfect to resemble the yellow color inspired by Brazil but it is also different and very attractive to the eye. I like to keep the salsa fresh as it creates a great contrast agains the oh-so-beautifully-melted Oaxaca cheese.
Besides the fresh salsa and the gooey cheese, the other amazing texture in this appetizer is the flaky puff pastry. I love how crispy puff pastry gets when baked, and as you can see below I was not shy about covering the puff pastry squares with mounds of Oaxaca cheese.
This soccer inspired appetizer will definitely feed the fans. It is a feast for the eyes and your taste. I completely recommend you try it.
Oh and should I remind you how crazy good and cheesy it is? Yup, it is that cheesy reason why I love the this cheese.
- 2 puff pastry sheets, thawed
- 2 cups Cacique Oaxaca cheese, grated
- 2 cups yellow vine tomato, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon jalapeño, finely minced (optional)
- 1 lime, juiced
- ¼ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400F degrees.
- Cut puff pastry sheets into small squares.
- With a table knife, lightly score a border ¼ inch from edges.
- Pinch center of the tart to avoid to much puffing up.
- Bake for 13 minutes.
- Take out from the oven and cover center with grated Cacique Oaxaca cheese.
- Bake for 3 more minutes until edges are golden brown and cheese has melted.
- To make salsa, combine the rest of the ingredients and let the flavors marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Drain salsa and top each cheesy puff pastry square, once out of the oven.