I am obsessed with tropical fruits, I’ve shared more than five recipes using coconut, as well as multiple others using mango and passion fruit. One of my favorites, which is perfect for summer, has a mix of pineapple and coconut flavors. It was in that recipe that I first tried flavored ice cubes and I am doing it again for this one because it’s so convenient. Just freeze your favorite juice and you have instant flavor for smoothies, or even as you cool down a cocktail. That’s the idea here. I have made coconut flavor ice cubes to represent the white color on my Red, White & Blue theme for fourth of July. I also thought of using frozen watermelon balls and frozen blueberries to complete the theme, and I am in love with the result. This glass looks gorgeous and to me is the perfect way to cool down a cocktail and carry the patriotic theme in a super easy way. Here is how I did it:
- Coconut Ice cubes: to make the ice cubes I used coconut cream (not coconut milk). The coconut cream comes with a top white layer of coconut fat. You can discard that and just use the liquid underneath that top layer. It’s delicious! I could almost drink it as is. Coconut cream is what mixologist use to give that coconut flavor in most drinks as well as the main coconut ingredient in Pina Coladas. To obtain the right balance of flavor mix 1 part coconut cream with 2 parts of water (no need for a sweetener in this case). Mix well and you are ready to pour and freeze.
- Frozen Watermelon: for the frozen watermelon you could easily cut the fruit in cubes and it will look super gorgeous as well, but in this case I wanted to go a little bit above and beyond so I scooped watermelon balls. They can be added to drinks fresh or frozen, you decide what works best with what you are serving.
- Frozen Blueberries: blueberries are the ultimate blue fruit. I added them at the top to complete the red, white and blue theme. They are so easy to work with, no need to do anything to them just freeze them or leave them fresh. Your choice.
Several drink ideas that could work well with these fruits and the coconut flavor are:
- Water: just pour regular water, enjoy the coconut flavor as it dissolves and eat the rest of the fruits as you go
- Sparkling water: make it a bit more festive by having some bubbly in you water
- White Rum: a white rum base drink will go really, really well with this, as coconut and rum are real great friends
- Mojito: make a mojito base (mint, sugar and lemon juice) and use these frozen fruit as ice topped with rum and soda
- Vodka: vodka tonic is an excellent choice as well
- Spritzer: mix white wine and sparkling water and you will have an awesome spritzer
- Sangria: the ultimate option and my favorite suggestion is to make a sangria base and use these fruits instead of the traditional ones
I hope you get to enjoy this idea as much as I did. Thanks!