I’ve always been a fan of contrasting flavors and texture. I like sweet and salty, soft and crunchy… I am one of those that experiment with crazy food combinations. I mean, maybe I should not call it crazy because I bet you too have added potato chips to your ice cream or tortilla chips to your burger. Right? Right? don’t leave me alone on this one. And if you are, then join me to celebrate the ultimate contrast of textures by making this ultimate Mexican burger.
I call it a Mexican burger because it has all the flavors I would enjoy in a taco but on a burger. And I call it ultimate because it goes as far as adding a big, whole fried tortilla in between the burger buns. Yes, that probably can be labeled as crazy, but you’ll be the crazy too once you try it and love it.
I also used Old El Paso soft flour tortillas, and fried them to golden brown perfection. Right as it came out of the hot oil, I drained them, pat them dry, and covered them with cheese so it got a chance to slowly melt but not soften the crunchy tortilla.
I used the fried tortilla as the center star of this burger and assembled it with sour cream, avocados, pico de gallo and the most flavorful burger patty. It was an ultimate experience bitting into this crazy good burger. I hope you try it, you crazy you! Enjoy!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 can (4.5 oz) Old El Paso chopped green chiles
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium tomatoes, small dice
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 small avocados
- 4 Old El Paso flour tortillas
- Oil for frying
- 4 sharp cheddar slices
- 4 burger buns
- Sour cream
- Place ground beef in a bowl and combine well with green chiles. Season with salt
- Divide beef into four equal portions and make burger patties of about ¾ inch thick.
- Heat olive oil in a sauté pan over high heat and cook burgers for about 3-4 minutes each side or until your desired degree of doneness.
- While burgers are cooking, mix tomatoes, cilantro and lime juice for a quick fresh pico de gallo and set aside. Also cut the avocados into thin slices or mash them into guacamole.
- Right before assembling the burger, fry the soft flour tortillas in very hot oil for just a few seconds on each side. Top each fried tortilla, while still hot, with a slice of cheese.
- Assemble the burgers by spreading the buns with your condiments of choice. Stack the burger starting with sour cream, avocado slices or guacamole, followed by the burger patties, the fried tortilla with cheese, and the pico de gallo. Finish with the top burger bun.