Mr. B is such a fan of chili. And I can’t believe I’ve never made chili for him. I think is time I change that so I plan to try this slow cooker turkey taco chili recipe… or do you have any other chili recipe recommendations?
In the mean time I am glad Mr. B is totally cool with pre-made canned chili. There are many good ones out there, and when we buy them he likes to make chili pies. Chili pie is made by layering in a bowl a base of corn chips, covered in chili and topped with his favorite toppings. He likes to make them mainly because of the crunch added by the chips…sooooo, even though I have not scored any points for making chilli for him yet, I did received the best compliments for upgrading his version of chili pie by using Old El Paso Stand ‘N Stuff tortillas as the base. He loved this idea!
You got to try this idea. It’s really, really cool and it will work perfectly in a chili bar. All you got to do is bake the soft tortilla Stand ‘N Stuff in the oven until crunchy and golden brown and then use them as the base to serve your chili on. We assembled ours with a layer of cheese, then chilli, then more cheese, more chili and finally a dollop of sour cream, extra cheese (yes, we like it cheesy) and green onions. Other great toppings could be red onions, cilantro, avocado, tomatoes, jalapeños… you name it!
By using the Stand ‘N stuff you’ll get crunch all around your chili pie. To me they are the ultimate addition to make the perfect chili bar.
- 1 package (10) Old El Paso Stand n’ Stuff Soft Flour Tortillas
- 10 cups cooked chilli
- 1 cup cheese of choice, grated
- 5 tablespoons sour cream
- ¼ cup green onions, chopped
- Preheat oven at 350°
- Place Stand 'N Stuff Soft Flour Tortillas in a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Let the baked Stand ’N Stuff Tortillas cool on a cooling rack for about 2 minutes.
- Fill the crispy tortilla cups with layers of chili and cheese
- Top with a final layer of cheese, sour cream and green onions