- Disclosure: this is a compensated campaign in collaboration with JetBlue and Latina Bloggers Connect. And YOU could be the winner of 2 roundtrip tickets to any JetBlue destination. Just enter the giveaway below.
A Taste of Home…
For the past ten years, every other year I spend Christmas in the Dominican Republic. A place where my heart beats to the beat of the tambor, güira, maraca and acordeón. In the blink of an eye a decade has gone by since I first left behind the warmth of the Caribbean sea… and not a day goes by without my heart reminding me, it is there where it feels at home.
Going back to be reunited with family it’s always a celebration. La fiesta starts from the moment I plan the trip, and goes on and on with each step that takes me closer to getting home. From booking the flight, being greeted at the gate, taking a seat on the plane, and hearing the pilot’s announcement that’s time for the most anticipated landing of all, every part of the experience matters immensely to all the Dominicanos fuera de su tierra. It’s a countdown till the moment we get to hug those that we love most.
Because of my strong ties to the country where I was raised and born, is that I could not help but cry of joy, and feel a deep connection with the Delgadillo family as I watched this JetBlue video. Have you seen it? It’s gone viral in a matter of days and I am not a bit surprised as the footage is moving and just by watching it I can get a taste of home.
The video is about a group of Dominican families, living in New York city, that were invited by JetBlue for dinner. They were told the conversation would be filmed for use in a documentary about Dominican culture in NYC. What the families didn’t know was that the meal was only the beginning of an emotional journey home. At the end of what was supposed to be a complimentary dinner they were given the biggest surprise anyone away from home could ever ask… watch to see what happens.
It has been beautiful to learn through this campaign, how JetBlue is a brand founded on a mission to inspire humanity, and how, because of this mission they decided to acknowledge the Dominican community and the impact of the connections between the DR and NYC. From the bottom of my heart I want to say GRACIAS to JetBlue, for thinking of my people, for making all of us dream through this touching initiative, and for connecting Dominican families and families everywhere every day of the year.
Even though this year will not be a Dominican Christmas for me, I have ways of bringing a piece of home where ever I go. Join me as I transport myself to the most beautiful land in this world through stories, pictures and great food. I’ll do this by sharing with you my top ten Dominican moments ever shared on this blog. Also don’t forget to enter the giveaway!
10 Dominican Recipes: A Taste of Home
- That moment when I made passion fruit mouse with freshly picked fruit straight from a Dominican backyard.
- When I shared my tips and tricks for making sancocho in just one hour.
- I also loved when I wrote an ode to the plantain as I made this delicious mofongo.
- Reading this post about my time in the gorgeous beach of Samaná and how I created a Pina Colada shaved ice inspired by it.
- Making Coconut Bread for the first time was a fun one too. Oh how I wish I could have one roll with lots of butter right now.
- Sharing the key to Dominican cooking through sofrito.
- That one time when I felt an accomplished mujer Dominicana by making pasteles en hoja all by myself.
- Oh! and the fun time making Palito de Coco or Memelos, which bring back so many childhood memories.
- Making Ponche Crema for Christmas a few years back was a great accomplishment too.
- And one of my favorite recipes Roasted Pork empanadas inspired by the Dominican Lechón.
Oh the memories… now is your turn to fly home!
Want to win 2 roundtrip tickets to any JetBlue destination? It’s easy and you could be the winner by entering below: