Hi guys! Any football fans here? Are you as excited as I am for the Super Bowl? Cause let me tell you, I am pumped and can’t wait. But to be honest, what’s ironic is that I don’t even know which teams will be playing. No clue. You see, growing up in the Dominican Republic I wasn’t really exposed to football. I’ve only lived in the US for 10 years and even though that’s a lot, I still till this day just love football season for the food. That’s a good reason right?
Mr. B. watches the games all the time, and we get invited to this huge Super Bowl party every year. Once we are at the party I pick a team to root for, and as long as I have a full plate of food in my hands I enjoy the evening no matter which team wins. I am chill like that. But what I do not take lightly is picking the dish I will bring. This year I was considering a few options. I was thinking of making these wings, or this dip, or maybe these meatballs. So hard to choose! And as I was not convinced, I decided to give this guacamole plantain cups recipe a try, and oh I think we have a winner.
What I love about this recipe is how fun it is to eat and how easy it is to make. With the help of Sabra’s classic guacamole, making the plantain cups is all I need to worry about. Sabra for the win! You know I love Sabra. Which BTW they are having a sweet deal right now. Sabra’s Buy, Snap, Score Promotion gets you a $5 gift card. Oh yeah score! Read more about it here and buy Sabra and Stacy’s together before February 15th to score $5. And while you are at it shopping for Sabra products, make sure to get their delicious guac so you can be all-set to make this recipe.
To make the plantain cups you start by peeling the plantains. Don’t know how? Do not worry. I have a super helpful video to show you. Watch it on my Youtube channel (and please subscribe). Here it is: How to Peel a Plantain Video.
The peeled plantain is then sliced and fried. Then comes the cool trick to give the plantain slices the mini cup shape. To do so you’ll need a lemon squeezer. So easy!
Once the plantain cups are done and crispy, fill them with guacamole and top them with bacon, because bacon makes everything better. Oh yes!
Look at this beauty. Don’t you want to try it? I sure want to make this recipe again and I will be surely taking these guacamole plantain cups to the 2016 Super Bowl 50 party. You should give it a try.
- 1 tub (8 oz) Sabra Classic Guacamole
- 2 long green plantains
- 4 cooked and crispy bacon strips cut into pieces
- Salt to taste
- Oli for frying
- Peel plantains. Make sure to watch my youtube video to get my tips on peeling plantains.
- Cut plantains into ¾ inch pieces (about 10-12 per plantain depending on its length).
- Heat enough oil to cover about ½ inch deep of the pan.
- Fry plantains in the very hot oil for about 1-2 minute on each side, just as it starts to turn a light gold color.
- Remove plantains from the pan and drain excess oil.
- Place the plantain pieces, one at a time, into a lemon squeezer and press to form the cup shape.
- Keep doing so until all plantain cups have been formed. Be very gentle doing so.
- Heat oil again and fry the plantain cups for about 1-2 minutes until they are crispy and get a more golden brown color.
- Remove from oil, drain excess oil, and sprinkle them with some salt.
- Fill the cups with guacamole and serve them with a piece of crispy bacon on top.
Disclosure: This post is part of a compensated campaign, but as always all recipes and opinions are 100% my own. Thanks for supporting the great brands that I get to work with and that make it possible for new content to be created for you on this blog.