Guacamole is a family favorite. We make it at home all the time. Most times all we do is mash the avocados and add to taste salt, lime, and a kick of cayenne pepper. Easy! When you are looking for a quick appetizer nothing beats that simple combination, but when it comes to impressing a group of guest, adding texture, color, and flavor to create a fantastic appetizer, well… I then go with Chuy’s style of guacamole. Fully loaded!
You may be wondering who is Chuy. My bad, let me introduce you. He is the cleanest, well-mannered, and most humble chef you’ll ever meet. He is a bit shy thou, but his bravery has been the key to his success. He is also superstitious and very loving… Gloria’s best friend.
Are you still lost? Now wondering who is Gloria? Well, I should have started by saying that Chuy is a character of Mundo Lanugo. Lanugo™ is a socially responsible lifestyle and entertainment brand that inspires Latino De Corazón™ (Latin at heart) confidence and cultural pride with preschoolers. Chuy and Gloria are both characters of this fantastic world and each character represents a facet of Latino culture, empowering parents to share their rich heritage through entertaining stories that build a child’s self-esteem and identity.
Here is Chuy in action. Showing “Little L” what goes into a fully loaded guacamole like the recipe we are sharing today.
I love that “Little L” is learning with Chuy as she plays with the Mundo Lanugo: Juega y Aprende App. Through fun interactive games and imaginative play, this app encourages children to explore the richness of the Latino heritage and the Spanish language. I love that “Little L” can build character, confidence and kindergarten readiness, while interacting on a setting that teaches about her Latino culture, identity and language. Here is a demo of the Lanugo App.
As I am a food lover and “Little L” is growing up to be one as well, we both enjoy Chuy’s games the most. As you can see when we made this fantastic guacamole, she helped me identify the ingredients we would need by following Chuy’s instructions in Spanish: Tomate, Aguacate, and so on. She placed them all in a bowl for mami to chop.
She loved learning about the ingredients and I took advantage of this opportunity to teach her about shapes, colors, flavors and textures. This app is fantastic for children ages 2-5 like “Little L”.
Of course we also talked about sharing, enjoying a meal together as a family, and being grateful for what we got. These are some of the other great messages children can learn through this app and the rest of the characters.
If this sounds like an app you would love for your children, or other kids you may know then download the free app here (Apple Store + Google Play) and learn more about it below. Oh and get the recipe too!
About this app:
Mundo Lanugo was conceived from a real unmet need to find tools that would help pass on proudly the Latino values and traditions. It is not about teaching Spanish; it is about sharing the cultural richness in order to empower our kids with a stronger identity and confidence.
- 10 short animated videos
- 10 interactive game stops
- Interactive animated background with tons of surprises like:
- Special character appearances
- Confetti explosions
- Hidden sounds
What parents can talk about:
- Good manners
- Latino sayings and their teaching
- Latino Celebrations such as Carnival, Day of the Dead, and the Three Wise Men, among others
- The Adventures of Don Quixote de la Mancha, renown “Spanish” literally character
- Artists like Botero, Frida, Diego Rivera, Dali, Picasso, among others
- Caribbean rhythms and musical instruments
- Popular Latin flavor and dishes
- Traditional Games
- Popular Children’s Songs in Spanish
Available in iOS (ipad and iphone) and Android
- 2 Haas avocados
- 1 lime
- ½ medium red onion
- ½ medium red bell pepper
- 1 vine tomato
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 tablespoon sazón (or ½ teaspoon cumin, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, ½ teaspoon oregano, 1 teaspoon salt)
- To one bowl add the peeled and cubed avocados. Roughly mash them leaving some chunks.
- Squeeze the juice of 1 lime on the avocados and stir. Set aside
- In a separate bowl add the following ingredients peeled and small diced, onion, bell pepper, tomato, and cilantro.
- Combine the contents of the two bowls and stir well.
- Season with sazón or the suggested seasonings instead.
- Give it a try and adjust lime and salt level to taste.
Disclosure: I was not compensated to write this post, nor I received anything in exchange. I truly love this app and the Lanugo brand. I believe in what it stands for and the great help that has been for me raising a multicultural and bilingual daughter.