Courageousness, innocence, and justice. This is what I plan to talk to my daughter this 4th of July. I want her to see past these berries or the clothes she will wear when she thinks of red, white, and blue. She is too young, one would say, to grasps these things. But she lives in a world where more than ever freedom is taken for granted and is not as free as it should be.
It is little by little that we can instill greatness in our children. We can’t let media, society, or wannabe leaders teach them these things. That’s why aside from dressing all festive, this weekend we will also go to the parade, proudly raise our flag, and we will talk about how everyone deserves their slice of freedom while enjoying a slice of this red, white and blue tortilla pizza.
So talking about this red, white and blue tortilla pizza, let me tell you that this is one of the most amazing recipes on this site. Why?
It only calls for four ingredients, it can be done under ten minutes, it requires zero culinary skills, and the layers of texture from the crunchy tortilla, airy whipped cream, and crisp fresh berries is just perfect together. Also who does not love pizza? Specially kids, if it were up to them they would eat pizza all the time. So coming up with a whimsical sweet version that is fun and easy to make has been the highlight of my summer.
Because fruit does not go as well with thick pizza dough, I am using a baked flour tortilla as the base for the fruit pizza. The cool thing about using tortillas is that it works perfectly to make single serving pizzas. For the “sauce” on any fruit pizza you can use a variety of options from melted white chocolate, sweetened cream cheese, vanilla yogurt, or my ultimate favorite whipped cream. The toppings could be any variety of fruits and even nuts if you would like. For this pizza I am using whipped cream which you can flavor adding vanilla, almond, or even coconut extract. Any of those flavors will go really well with berries.
It only takes a few ingredients and practically no time. Try it and use this opportunity to bond with your children, talk to them about what it really means to have achieved independence, and what the colors of the flag really means as we do our day to day life. Enjoy!
- 1 package (10) flour tortillas, for Soft Tacos & Fajitas
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powder sugar
- 5 cups berries, chopped or whole such as strawberries and blueberries
- Place tortillas in the middle rack of the oven under the broiler.
- Bake tortillas for 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- With an electric mixer whip the heavy cream. Once soft peaks have form add the powder sugar and keep beating until stiff peaks have form. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Once the tortillas come out of the oven, let them cool before assembling the pizzas. Tortillas will remain crispy.
- To assemble the pizza, place a layer of the whipped cream on the tortillas and top it with about ½ cup of berries of your choice.
Disclosure: This post is part of a compensated campaign, but as always all recipes and opinions are 100% my own. Thanks for supporting the great brands that I get to work with and that make it possible for new content to be created for you on Hungry Food Love.