The scents and flavors of nutmeg, clove, ginger and cinnamon immediately bring back my best childhood memories celebrating the holidays in a Latino family. This is why I came up with this Spiced Holiday Pineapple Upside-Down Cake.
The holiday edition dessert that I plan to make every year in order to keep those memories of warm spices alive in my own family.
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake has always been a favorite, but this time you will get to enjoy it with other loved holiday ingredients including pecans and dates. It is one of the easiest desserts I have ever made, plus using the Dole Canned Pineapple Chunks is a great time-saving trick as well as a key ingredient that helps the cake come out looking consistent and with the right texture. I find the Dole canned fruit to be super practical and it makes including fruit in any dish an easy choice.
To make the cake, start by setting up the base of the baking pan which will result on the gorgeous top once the cake is ready to be turned upside down. I decided to arrange the Dole Canned Pineapple Chunks in a pattern to make the cake even prettier but you can also sprinkle them freely over the mixture of butter and brown sugar.
In a separate bowl, make the batter and pour it over the base. The batter should be thick but pourable. It should cover all of the base but it is ok if some of the ingredients mix and move around as you pour the batter.
Once baked, run a knife around the edges of the baking pan and wait one to two minutes before flipping the cake in a platter or stand.
This cake can be stored for days and it is so good warm or room temperature. I particularly enjoy it best with a cup of coffee or tea as a sweet and light way to end the night. I hope you get to enjoy it too!
- --- For the cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- ---For the topping
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 can (20 oz.) Dole Pineapple Chunks
- ½ cup Dole dates, chopped
- ⅓ cup pecans, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine together the cake batter dried ingredients flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. In another bowl whisk eggs, milk and vanilla extract. Combine wet and dry ingredients together until mixed well. Set aside.
- For the topping combine well the brown sugar with melted butter.
- Pour this mixture evenly in the bottom of a 9' round baking pan.
- Place the pineapple chunks in a pattern or freely distribute it over the butter and brown sugar mixture.
- Sprinkle the chopped dates and pecans to fill in gaps.
- Pour cake batter on top making sure all areas are filled.
- Bake cake for 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Once baked, run a knife around the edges of the baking pan and wait one to two minutes before flipping the cake in a platter or stand.